Research & Development Specialist - Nutrition Job
Refer A Friend
Job Tile: Nutrition / Research and Development Specialist
Job Number: 2017-48667
Date Posted: 5-3-2017
Back to top
Provide scientific support for product innovation of new products, substantiation of claims, product labeling statements and ensure formulas are compliant with registration requirements for international markets.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct formal review of new products and ingredients offered by external contacts to determine scientific viability and applications.
- Design or assist in design of science-based products for GNC’s global business. Manage execution of product ideas from conceptual state to market.
- Substantiate product claims or other inquiries from internal and legal departments. Conduct literature searches in support of substantiation of scientific issues and claims.
- Communicate sound science information (written or oral) within the company and to targeted external groups in order to enhance business initiatives. Participate in scientific approval of consumer information, including marketing copy, structure-function statements, claims and training materials.
- Monitor current scientific literature for new information in health and nutrition that can be applied to, or result in, new products or claims.
- Manage the department’s database of ingredient/supplier information and ensure records are maintained in an appropriate manner.
- Monitor regulatory trends, determine impact on products.
- Encourage, establish and maintain relationships with industry, academic and government organizations.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Dietetics/Nutrition Science related field and 4+ years experience in the food or supplement industry or Master’s Degree in Nutrition and 2+ years of industry experience.
- Master’s Degree or PhD. in Nutrition.
- Registered Dietitian (RD).
- Experience in Product Development.
Skills and Abilities
- Working knowledge of nutrition, nutrigenomics, vitamins, minerals, ingredients, botanicals.
- Organizational and interpersonal ability to work under time pressure as needed.
- Analytical ability to include computer skills, statistics and analysis of database.
- Ability to creatively and entrepreneurially solve problems.
- Excellent writing skills.
Work Environment / Travel / Physical Demands
- Normal office environment. Position will interact with members of the Technology & Product Innovation Team, investigators and CRO’s for Clinical trials, external scientists, vendors and suppliers for product/ingredient information and testing results, and members of the Retail Sales, Marketing and Customer Resources departments.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential job functions, which are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
GNC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Protected Veterans/Disabled Individuals Employer.