Research & Development Manager Job
Refer A Friend
Job Tile: Manager of Research & Development
Job Number: 2017-50686
Date Posted: 7-21-2017
Back to top
Supervise and manage all activities related to new product innovation and development of scientifically sound product innovations in the areas of wellness, performance, botanicals and functional foods.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise & manage the execution of new product innovation activities and design of science-based formulations across GNC’s business within and outside of the USA.
- Manage & supervise the conduct of formal reviews of new products and ingredients offered by external contacts to determine scientific viability and applications.
- Work cross-functionally with internal teams to identify opportunities to develop new products that integrate into the overall GNC assortment strategy.
- Supervise team efforts to substantiate product claims or other inquiries from internal and legal departments. Conduct literature searches in support of substantiation of scientific issues and claims.
- Oversee communication of sound nutrition and science information within the companies and targeted external sources. This position will ensure that the science team members serve as nutrition expert liaisons to support the development of educational content for GNC employees and customers.
- Supervise the team’s design and execution of clinical studies.
Encourage, establish and maintain relationships with industry, academic and government organizations
- May supervise professional level nutritionists and entry level scientists.
- Masters Degree in Dietetics/Nutrition Science related field
- 5+ years experience in the food or supplement industry or related field
- Minimum 3 years experience in product development
- Minimum 2 years clinical research experience
- PhD in Nutrition
- Registered Dietitian (RD)
- Have a contact network with other senior level professionals within the nutrition field and industry.
- Expert knowledge of nutrition, nutrigenomics, vitamins, minerals, ingredients, botanicals.
- A “roll-up-the-sleeves” work ethic that will remain tenacious in pursuing business ideas and concepts.
- Comfortable in supervising and leading a team.
- Organizational and interpersonal ability to work under time pressure as needed.
- Analytical ability to include computer skills, statistics and analysis of database.
- Ability to creatively and entrepreneurially solve problems.
- Excellent writing & presentation skills.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear and sit. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
- Limited travel (under 15% of the time) including potential for overseas travel.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential job functions, which are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
GNC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Protected Veterans/Disabled Individuals Employer.