Business Analyst - IT Corporate Systems Job
Refer A Friend
Job Tile: Business Analyst II-- IT Corporate Systems
Job Number: 2017-47800
Date Posted: 3-14-2017
Back to top
The Business Analyst is primarily responsible to act as a liaison between the Information Technology (IT) group and corporate business partners (HR and Finance). The purpose of this position is to represent the business perspective and needs of a system development project to the technical development team. The Business Analyst will work with the Business Unit to: define business requirements; develop business processes; validate business processes against the system; as well as organize and prepare test plans, execute user testing and organize end user training where appropriate. The Business Analyst will become the “subject matter expert”, both from a business perspective and a system functionality perspective, for corporate planning, execution, and support systems. The business analyst should keep up with industry trends and be able to help define opportunities for process improvements. The Business Analyst will be accountable for the development of business requirements and responsible for partnering with IT to develop functional requirements in support of project delivery.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Essential Job Functions
Business Process development
- Demonstrate a high level of subject matter expertise in functional area to bridge business requirements and IT solutions. Provide technical direction and ensure compliance with best practice solutions.
- Understand industry trends and best practices in the business that can be applied to system design and process improvement.
- Recommend innovative solutions to business needs.
- Monitor project progress by tracking activity, resolving problems, publishing progress reports and recommending actions.
- Work with business sponsor to create realistic business use cases that determine the process that a user will execute when using the new and/or enhanced system.
- Create business process test cases to test the new and/or enhanced system, receive approval from business that test cases cover business conditions.
- Create test cases that exercise system functions that the business may not consider and insure system meets performance and reliability requirements.
Functional Specification Design development
- Work with business sponsor to determine business requirements for new and/or enhanced system requests.
- Do Systems analysis based on above requirements as needed
- Do system design and create functional specifications for new and/or enhanced system development.
- Do Data model design for system enhancements
- Hold functional specification review sessions with cross-functional team members (Business sponsors, IT, other Business Analysts, QA engineers, Application Development PM, etc.) for review of requirements.
- Require sign off of functional specification(s) from all cross functional project team members.
Scope change control
- Monitor issues associated with applications.
- Work with Manager of Corporate systems, business sponsors, and IT function areas to prioritize issues.
- Work with Project Manager to track project status and issue resolution.
- Conduct and/or assist in the development of the training material for the end user group. Conduct and/or assist with hands on training sessions for end user group.
- Maintain or assist in maintenance of training documentation to be kept as turnover occurs in business units.
- Responsible for working with project manager in the creation and maintenance of accurate project status information that is communicated to the business sponsor(s) on regular scheduled intervals.
- Participate in annual budgeting process to set scope, sizing and resourcing needs for upcoming projects.
- Coordinate and execute user acceptance testing sessions.
- Work with Business sponsor and IT management to determine priority and resourcing.
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science or related discipline with 5-7 years of experience
- MBA a plus
Skills and Abilities
- Project Management skills
- Systems Analysis and Design
- Experience or understanding of HR and finance concepts
- Business requirement definition
- Test Plan development and accurate execution
- Problem Solving methodologies
- System design skills.
- Strong collaborator and a team player.
- Strong written and oral communication and presentation skills. Ability to communicate with the business and with other members of the IT staff, in the language appropriate for each.
- Strong documentation skills for system and project documentation
- Ability to generate training documentation and conduct training sessions
- Attention to Detail
- System Design experience including system documentation in the form of Data Flow Diagrams.
- Experience in writing Business requirements documents
- Experience in resolving and documenting business issues
- Experience in writing business function specs based on requirements.
- Strong testing skills and experience. Analyst should have the ability to identify all conditions that can occur in a given application and document a test plan that effectively lists and proves these conditions were successful.
- Ability to understand HR and finance concepts and apply them to system design
- Ability to communicate with business units on a non-technical level and understand their language and functional needs.
- Ability to learn, integrate, and support third party packages.
- Ability to keep up with industry trends and integrate them into process and design recommendations.
- Analyst should have the ability to learn new concepts quickly as the business grows and technology evolves. Analyst should have the ability to learn and work independently with new concepts and apply them effectively in their job.
- Have a creative approach. Be able to devise creative solutions with modern technological options to business problems. These may involve package integration, usage of the cloud, mobile options, internal development, or other technologies as they evolve.
- Must have strong time management and planning skills. Be able to multi task effectively and potentially take part in multiple projects over the same time frame.
- Problem solving skills – Should be able to analyze options and make educated decisions effectively when dealing with production support or systems development. Offer ideas and alternatives when faced with problems.
- Accountability – must assume responsibility for own output and accomplishments.