Assistant Technical Manager Job
Refer A Friend
Job Tile: Assistant Technical Manager
Job Number: 2017-48243
Date Posted: 6-7-2017
Back to top
Responsible for managing the technical aspects of products in the development pipeline through product life cycle as well as additional special assignments relating to the functions & processes of the department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Essential Job Functions
- Assist in technical management of projects in product development pipeline including the following activities but not limited to:
- Overall Product Concept Claims and Specifications
- Review product concepts and formulation requirements for products
- Monitor updates and ensure requirements are upheld throughout the R&D process
- Work with Internal and External Teams to maintain project scope and timelines
- Proactively communicate challenges, alternative solutions and associated effects on timing
- Internal teams include Marketing, Merchandising, Brand Managers, Scientific Affairs etc.
- External teams include Raw Material Suppliers, Manufacturers, Testing Facilites, etc.
- Feasibility and Prototypes
- Ensure prototypes are meeting desired claims as outlined by the concept and formulation
- Assist in sample preparation and experimental design considerations based on desired outcomes of the sensory study
- Utilize best practices during sensory evaluation of prototypes based on speed and efficiency necessary to provide feedback to manufacturers
- Lead discussions with taste test panelists to capture and communicate sensory data/feedback to the relevant internal and external partners
- Troubleshoot with formulators and food technologists regarding flavoring and prototype issues across multiple product formats such as solid dose, chewables, powders, liquids, functional foods
- Quality and Technical Contributions
- Facilitate discussions with Quality Control, Raw Material Suppliers, Contract Manufacturers, Analytical Laboratories and Technical Data Writers
- Review artwork to ensure accuracy for technical aspects as well as compliance with labelling regulations
- Assist in exploratory and long term projects resulting in innovative products or ingredients.
- Must have the ability to convert between various measurement units.
- Coordinate, send and track samples as well as commercialized product for testing on an as needed basis
- Communication & Reporting
- Lead discussions with cross functional teams (e.g. Marketing, Merchandising, Brand Managers, Scientific Affairs, Quality Control etc.)
- Roll up concise re-cap of challenges/tradeoffs to drive decisions in key points in process
- Conduct internal meetings to report project status to the internal customer
- Maintain accurate records (electronic and paper) of project details
- Inform management immediately of any interruption/delay of the project’s timeline.
- Create & circulate necessary reports to various business units
- Work closely with Project Managers to ensure projects stay within requested concept, costing and launch timing.
- Bachelor’s Degree of Science in Food Science or Nutrition
- 5+ years’ experience in R&D, Product Development or Sensory Science
- Requirements above with specific experience in product development/project management for private label consumer packaged goods
Skills and Abilities
- Strong technical skills in regards to Food Science, Nutrition and R&D
- Ability to critically read technical documents/formulations, identify and troubleshoot challenges, and analyze next steps/timing
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Computer: Excel (data storage, manipulation & analysis), Word and PowerPoint, Internet
- Ability to work in fast-paced environment in a highly organized fashion
- Ability to work independently with little direction from management and accept a fluid/evolving environment
- Ability to interact with sales, marketing, and technical professionals (scientists/manufacturing)
- A passion for nutrition is a plus
- Ability to taste and screen various products and ingredients for flavor and sensory evaluation without dietary limitations
Work Environment / Travel / Physical Demands
- Normal office environment
- 0-5% Travel
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential job functions, which are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
GNC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Protected Veterans/Disabled Individuals Employer.