Assistant Category Merchant Job
Refer A Friend
Job Tile: Assistant Category Merchant
Job Number: 2016-39847
Date Posted: 2-3-2017
Back to top
Responsible for strategic merchandise categories with accountability for attaining budgeted sales, gross margin, and building market share within the categories through the creation of promotions, merchandising concepts, field communications, and new product launches. Responsible for searching out new, competitive opportunities within assigned categories and driving the business to ensure an industry leading position for GNC.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in promotion plan development and implement necessary plans to achieve or exceed sales and margin goals for assigned businesses including domestic, international, and internet distribution channels.
- Assist in negotiating agreements with third party vendors to secure preferred products, pricing, vendor marketing programs, and promotions to drive existing and new customers into GNC, including exclusive programs for GNC. Assist in negotiating deals with raw material vendors to secure support for finished goods and incremental marketing programs that enhance and create sales and profit for the company.
- Assist in preparing for and presenting during weekly product category meetings that enhance and ensure communication and follow-through with key cross-functional teams, including Purchasing, Replenishment, Internet, Franchising, and Sales Analysis to support and ensure key areas aligned with the strategic direction of the category.
- Assist supervisor in research and studying of market trends and competitive data to support successful launch of new products created by the new product development groups and from third party vendors.
- Working with other key functional areas, ensure sales of existing and new brands are maximized with proper communication, promotion, creative merchandising and adequate inventory and that unproductive SKUs are eliminated.
- Manage the necessary internal resources, data, and shelf space allocation to conduct the annual line review and reset walkthrough for the businesses. Maintain accurate planograms.
- Assist in the development of annual business plans incorporating forecasted sales and margin, new product launches, and supporting marketing and promotional activities for assigned categories. Review business plans periodically and adjust or implement necessary changes to achieve category objectives.
- Assist in preparing mock store for monthly and bi-monthly promotions and annual reset walkthroughs, annual line review, business plan, and franchise presentation.
- Monitor retail price competitiveness via monthly store visits and internet website monitoring to ensure maximum sales and profitability per SKU. Manage competitive price programs in various markets and strategic locations.
Provide accurate and timely communication of bi-monthly Merchandising plan files, signage executions, and Marketing plans to internal and external areas of the business, especially the field. Ensure that Promotional materials and merchandise are shipped in a timely manner to the field and that communication of these materials is crystal clear to the stores.
- Enhance the scope of proprietary and third party brands by working closely with Marketing and Production Teams to plan, develop, and implement monthly catalog layouts, preprint circular executions, and direct marketing strategies and advertisements that support category sales and margin objectives. Maximize collateral material executions based on sales data history. Develop and write Supplement articles to support communication of key product information.
- Accountable for maintenance and accuracy of promo files, direct marketing pieces and in store signage assuring flawless execution.
At least 2 years experience in an analytical, merchandising and/or buying capacity
Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration or related field.
· Must demonstrate strong communication (written and oral) and presentation skills.
· Needs to have strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
· Technical experience should include MS Office, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, knowledge of market data, Access or other data base knowledge and planogram tools.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear and sit. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.